CAE Soils Team Webinar Flyer
May 8th @ 10 am (1.5 hours)
Soils and Groundwater in California Ecosystems
- Recap of concepts from previous webinar and videos on Jamboard
- Work through soil groundwater recharge mini scenario)
May 15th @ 10 am (1 hour)
Open Q&A with Soil Scientists
- Submit questions beforehand and/or join us live to discuss soils
Soil Manuals and Workbooks (updated 2018)
NRCS Soil Quality Technical Documents
For a list of all technical documents including: Soil Quality Test Kit Guide, Soil Quality Information Sheets, Soil Quality Physical Indicators, and more visit: NRCS Soil Health Resources
Rangeland Soil Quality Information Documents (NRCS):
Indicators for Assessment and Monitoring
Physical and Biological Soil Crusts
The GLOBE Program is an ” international science and education program that provides students and the public worldwide with the opportunity to participate in data collection and the scientific process, and contribute meaningfully to our understanding of the Earth system and global environment.”
Soil data (investigation of pedosphere) is part of their program. They have compiled a set of documents and protocols on how to measure relevant soil characteristics and evaluate soil quality for their project.
GLOBE Table of Contents (links to all protocols and learning objectives)
Use this site to investigate local and regional soil maps using data compiled by the NRCS.
- Define an “Area of Interest” under the Area of Interest (AOI) tab. The “state and county” and “address” methods are the easiest. Or you can define your AOI by drawing an AOI box (red box in toolbar) over the area of interest.
- Click on the “Soil Data Explorer” Tab to investigate soil properties/qualities and ecological site assessments
- Click on “Soil Map” to see a soil map of your AOI
This includes background on wetlands, the science of wetland monitoring, assessment, and water quality standards, as well as restoration information.
General Overview of Soil Erosion (many pages on this site are under construction, but there is still good overview info)
This USDA/NRCS document includes background on soil horizons and soil formation as well as soil survey information including: soil properties, management interpretations, and general soil information. Lastly, there are illustrated instructions on how to use the “Web Soil Survey” mentioned above.